Saturday, September 26, 2009

Intervention

I just finished reading a great fiction book that addressed an interesting concept. Intervention. I of course know what the word means, but did not know what it means in relation to what I just read about until a few months ago when another fiction book that I read had something about it - see I really do learn things from reading fiction!

If you are like me, and are not familiar with this concept, I will briefly explain. When a person is addicted to something and is destroying their life because of it - i.e. drugs, alcohol, family and friends can try intervention. All involved write letters telling the person how much they love them, and how it hurts them what the addict is doing to himself. They then converge on the addict, read the letters, and try to get him in a corner to agree to get help.

The idea is intriguing for a few reasons. It makes me wonder how far I would go to help someone I love quit an addiction. How much should I do. Whether we really are concerned enough about the people in our lives - whether it is an addiction that could kill them and/or destroy their lives, or if they are simply without God. How far are we willing to go to help rescue them?

I know God is ultimately the One who can rescue anyone, and yes, we should pray, but I am afraid too many Christians sit back and smugly think they have done their duty by praying for someone. We don't want to get our hands dirty. We don't want to offend, risk driving our friend, our children, or even a parent - away. So we sit back, pray, and hope for the best.

I admit, I have someone in my life who has an addiction. I have prayed, cried, plead - and seemingly to no avail. I wonder what more I can do, what more should I do, whether I should do anything at all.

If we had a loved one about to step out blindly in the path of a speeding car, or step off a cliff, we would do all we could to stop them. Why do we not do the same when it is a slow killer. Or when it is their soul that hangs in the balance, and not necessarily their life.

I don't know what the answers are. If I did, I would go after the addict in my life. Were it in my power, I'd be tempted to lock them up with a Bible and shove food under the door. Amusing thought maybe, but it does make me wonder - what am I willing to do to help those I love if and when they are doing something harmful to their body and soul?

0 comments: