Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Who fights harder........

This is one of those posts that I have no idea how long it will be. It isn't intended to be long. Regardless, if you are reading this, I'd like your input, if I can get across in an intelligent way what I am trying to say.

Life has been tremendously discouraging in the last several months. I wouldn't even want to list everything I am dealing with, but believe me, it is a lot.

That said, the devil of course is taking advantage of my problems and hammers constantly. I struggle to truly believe God cares and loves me - life-long issue - and it seems God is just letting me flounder and get more discouraged.

Here is what I'd like input on. It seems to me, from recent experiences, and over the years - that the devil fights for our soul harder than God does. Satan throws everything he has at us - for me, it is throwing everything he has to try to convince me that my lifelong fears just might be right - that God doesn't care. The harder he fights, the less it seems God does. Why does God not fight harder for us? Or does He, and I just don't see it?

Some would say He died on the cross, what more does He have to do - and in a sense, I get that - yet, it seems He stands back and lets people slide closer and closer to giving up - why doesn't He step in and fight from the other side?

Just some random thoughts from the discouraged, but I would appreciate some input on that question...does Satan fight harder for our souls than God does? What do you think?

4 comments:

Craig and Heather said...

God is my Father. The fight is already won. No one will take what is His from Him. (John 17)

I would say, however, that Satan's fight is more desperate, because he has been defeated.

My brokenness drives me to my knees with my face in the dirt covered in tears and sweat. But from there I look up, and He is there. When I am weak, then He is strong.

Just My Thoughts,

Craig

~Brenda said...

I know what you're saying, and I've been there, and have been there LOTS lately. I would encourage you to "draw nigh unto God, and He will draw nigh unto you." I think God allows trials because it brings us closer to Him. We need Him more in those times (we need Him always, but we are more aware of the need). When all is smooth sailin', we as fallen beings tend to get a I-can-do-it-on-my-own attitude.

Hang in there, and keep preachin' the gospel to yourself every day. Renew your mind, and draw night unto Him.

Prayers and love in Christ,
~Brenda

Craig and Heather said...

Your post brought tears to my eyes.

I'm sure my specific trials are different, but I am intimately acquainted with the struggle to find reassurance of my spiritual well-being.

Some days, I wonder why I don't feel saved. Why don't I feel joyful--or at least peaceful? I wonder if my tendency toward depression is a legitimate medical issue or spiritual oppression. Have I somehow asked for it, or is it intended to be a purifying, humbling situation similar to Paul's "thorn in the flesh"

Of course, feelings can be deceptive, and Satan is called "the Accuser". Craig makes a good point. God has already defeated Satan... but he is being allowed to continue his battle until Jesus returns.

And I believe his helpers don't miss an opportunity to remind me of the fact that I don't deserve a scrap of mercy or kindness from God. Certainly, the demons know how to manufacture a distraction that is specifically designed to get my eyes off of Jesus and onto unpleasant circumstances, or my own lengthy list of failures. The devil is on the prowl, looking for those he can drag down and devour.

The only thing I know to do is to throw myself at God's feet, beg Him to not let me go and believe that He alone is able to save me--even when my fickle feelings tell me that I'm drowning and He's not listening.

Praying for you,

Heather

Steve-n-Deb said...

I wish I could remember where, but I read about this somewhere. The idea was that God doesn't fight for us per se. He allows us to make the choice. In other words, His not fighting for us is part of free will. This isn't too clear, but if I run across something, I'll let you know