Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Christmas Music...The Best & Worst

(I had started another blog to review books and CDs on, and have never done much with it. I am transporting those to here, so the most of the posts posted today have are old. I want to close the other blog, but wanted to keep the posts.)

Warning, my personal opinions & tastes are abounding in this post.
Since I am finally listening to Christmas music, the music I love, I thought I'd blog about it. Here are my top 10 lists. :-)

First off, in my opinion, the worst Christmas songs out there, songs that make me cringe and want to change the station or turn the radio off, these are the ones that immediately come to mind:

1) Blue Christmas: Elvis

2) Santa Baby: Madonna

3) Ave Maria: anyone

4) Jingle Bells: Sandy Patty

5) I Want A Hippopotamus For Christmas: Dr Dementia, I think

6) Little Drummer Boy: Johnny Cash (he doesn't do the pa rum pa pa pums - annoying)

7) Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays: N'Sync

8) Santa Claus Is Back In Town: Elvis

9) Same Old Lang Syne: Dan Fogelberg

10) Baby, It's Cold Outside: by anyone


My top 10 Christmas albums:

1) A Family Christmas: Talleys, 1988, in my humble opinion, the best Christmas album ever, in any genre'

2) Still The Greatest Story Ever Told: Gaither Vocal Band

3) The Magic of Christmas: Garth Brooks

4) Music of Christmas: Steven Curtis Chapman

5) It's Christmas: Talley Trio

6) It Feels Like Christmas Again: Jeff & Sheri Easter

7) This Christmas Time: Lonestar

8) Once Upon A Christmas: Kenny Rogers & Dolly Parton

9) A David Phelps Christmas: David Phelps

10) Home For Christmas: Amy Grant


Top 10 Religious Christmas Songs (non-carol)

1) Still The Greatest Story Ever Told: Gaither Vocal Band

2) Mary Wrapped A Present: Hoppers

3) Come On Ring Those Bells: Evie

4) Our God Is With Us: Steven Curtis Chapman

5) Night Before Christmas: Amy Grant

6) Mary, Did You Know: Kenny Rogers & Wynonna Judd

7) Reason For The Season: Lonestar

8) I Can Still Celebrate Christmas: Talleys

9) The Gift Goes On: Sandy Patty

10) We Are The Reason: Avalon


Top 10 secular Christmas songs:

1) Hey Santa! Wendy & Carnie Wilson

2) With Bells On: Kenny Rogers & Dolly Parton

3) It's Christmas: Ronnie Milsap

4) Tonight Is Christmas: Alabama

5) Merry Christmas, Darling: Carpenters

6)Tennesse Christmas: Amy Grant

7) Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree: Brenda Lee

8) Christmas In Dixie: Kenny Chesney/Alabama

9) The Gift: Jim Brickman, Colin Raye, Susan Ashton

10) I Believe In Santa Claus: Kenny Rogers & Dolly Parton


Top 10 carols & Older religious Christmas songs

1) Mary's Boy Child: Anne Murray

2) Silent Night

3) It Came Upon The Midnight Clear: Talleys

4) Joy To The World

5) Do You Hear What I Hear: Vince Gill

6) Hark the Herald Angels Sing

7) Angels We Have Heard On High

8) Beautiful Star of Bethlehem: Kingsmen

9) I Heard The Bells On Christmas Day: Gaither Vocal Band

10) Away In A Manger


OK, I was a little bored, but it did entertain me. :-)

0 comments: