Friday, January 8, 2010

Evis........ An unpopular view

If Elvis Presley was alive today, he would be 75 years old - and so of course, the news is full of Evlis stuff.

I intensely dislike Elvis' singing. I have never, ever heard a song by him that I enjoyed, because I don't like his voice, his style - none of that.

That aside, it really bugs me how much into Elvis people are. He is NOT "the king." Jesus is, last time I checked - yeah, I know, that is suppsed to be "king of rock and roll", but I still don't like to see it or hear it.

I dared to express the idea that Elvis might not be in Heaven a couple of times in my life - and wow! You'd think I blasphemed God Himself to suggest the very fact. But get real - he lived a life of drugs, booze, women, and rock and roll. He died of a drug overdose. Sure, he may have asked forgiveness as he was dying and made it into Heaven - but singing a few Gospel songs during his career is not enough to make his entrance into Heaven. From what I know of him and his life - and the way he died, I would say it would be more likely to assume the opposite - that he didn't make it to Heaven - and maybe he did. But he certainly did not live the type of life that should cause people to practically worship him and make pilgrimages to his home at Graceland - nor should people just assume he is in Heaven.

It isn't popular to dare suggest an icon might not be where people want him to be. I have good friends who want to put Elvis in sainthood and Heaven - but even if I liked him, I'd take issue with that.

Elvis isn't quite the equivalent of Michael Jackson - who I still believe was a pedophile - but they do have something in common - neither lived a good Christian life. Neither were the type of person that made a good role model, that was deserving of so much worship and adulation - only Jesus is worthy of that.

I think we all need to focus on better people to have for role models, and not be so quick to attach sainthood to entertainers who are a far cry from what a Christian should be.

And to any Elvis fans who would accuse me of judging, I challenge you to put Elvis' life - and the way he died - drug overdose - up against the Bible - it isn't judging, it is an obvious observation.

4 comments:

Kimmy said...

I like Elvis, mostly because I grew up on him and the memories are sentimental. My parents were always big fans. I certainly don't worship him, but I do like his music.

I think it's sad the way his life went. I think all that fame really messed him up. I don't think he really liked it all that much.

As for being the "King of Rock and Roll" Elvis never called himself that, people did. Infact, Elvis is quoted as saying this when called king:

"I am not the King. Jesus Christ is the King. I'm just an entertainer."

I'm not saying he is definitely in heaven, but I hope he is. Also, when he was found on his bathroom floor, he had his bible with him.

Mark said...

Elvis may have discouraged the "king" thing, but it still doesn't make it right - and the Bible doesn't convince me - he died of a drug overdose - if I died committing a sin or even a crime, but was clutching a Bible, would that be enough to assume I made it to Heaven? I think not

fredamans said...

I absolutely love Elvis and absolutely HATE this post.

What a complete waste of time, just to incessantly complain about a musician.

Desecrate the dead, nice.

Kimmy said...

Nope, wouldn't be enough to assume anything. But, it does give me hope that in his last moments he called out to God. I truly believe that Elvis believed in God, desperately got off track, yes...but could have renewed a relationship with him in the end.

And, you're right. Calling Elvis "The King" is not right. Those who referred to him in that way were wrong to do so, as Elvis himself pointed out;-)