Friday, January 8, 2010

Christian Fiction for men

I'm an oddity, and I admit it. I have always loved to read, and though I should read more non-fiction than I do, my true love is fiction - Christian fiction. But give me a break, it's what I enjoy. I know guys who spend tons of money and time watching and playing sports, hunting, fishing - all that - so let me have my books. :-)


Just for the fun of it, plus I am bored - I decided to list some good fiction books/authors for men. There are a lot out there. Women's fiction seems to dominate the market, but there are some authors and books geared for men. Here are some of them in case you're a guy looking for some good fiction, or you are a lady wanting to buy a book for a guy. :-)



1) The Riley Covington Series by Jason Elam & Steve Yohn - these books are about special ops, terrorism, and football - which I am not a fan of (football OR terrorism!) - but they are excellent books, and though some women may enjoy them, they are definitely "man-books" and a far cry from Lori Wick and Janette Oke. ;-)



2) Task Valor Series by Chuck Holton - another special ops/terrorism book, fast-paced, definitely "man books". No football in these though. Totally different than the series mentioned above, and great reading also.



3) Ted Dekker. Some of his books are a bit weird. Some are really weird. Men & women alike enjoy them, but most of them are more male reading, than female. And some of his books are better than others. I recommend The Martyr's Song Series above anything he has written.



4) Mike Dellosso. This guy is a fairly new author, having only two books out, but they are awesome reads, a bit similar in style to Frank Peretti. I would say they lean more towards what a man would enjoy, though both women & men would enjoy his books. Check out Hunted and Scream, and Darlington Woods, due out in May. (Hmm, if it isn't a book I get to review, would make a good birthday gift for me since my birthday is in May). This author also has a great blog that he posts some great thoughts on.


5) Conlan Brown. Another new author. He has one book so far, Firstborn, with a sequel out this coming year. Fast-paced suspense with a supernatural theme, it would make a good guy book.



6) James Scott Bell. Readers of John Grisham would like his books - legal thrillers without curse words. Also, I don't think JSB goes around campaigning for Hillary Clinton....... :-)



7) Robert Whitlow. Another legal thriller author, though I would recommend his earlier books. His newest series would not fall under the "legal thriller" genre, and kind of drags, in my opinion.



8) Frank Peretti. His books for the most part aren't necessarily geared more for men than women, but men would definitely enjoy them. I still think his best are his earliest - Piercing the Darkness and This Present Darkness.

9) Adam Blumer. Another new author, having just one book under his belt so far, but it is one of the best suspense books I have ever read. Though his book doesn't really lean any more towards what a man would read, it is a book men would enjoy.

10) Robert Liparulo. Calling his books Christian fiction may be a stretch - there isn't much Christian content, if any, in some of his books, and at least "hell" is used as an expletive, but they are definitely "guy books" and are still clean and a far cry from what is in the secular books.

3 comments:

Mike Dellosso said...

Hey Mark, thanks for including me on this awesome list. I'm truly honored. We need more books guys like . . .

ML Bettino said...

Mark - I have found in some circles that discussing fiction, let alone Christian fiction can cause a stir. Sadly. I have just published a Christian novel based on a play by Euripedes. This has led to some heated conversations, for sure. Keep up the good work. Maybe I'll make your list some day. ("Martyr or Alcestis Revisited")

Hank Brown said...

Thanks for putting this list together! If you're not averse to westerns, I recommend adding Gilbert Morris' Reno series to it--especially Boomtown/Vigilante. I found out most of his historical fiction seems written for women but, romantic subplots notwithstanding, the Reno westerns are for us guys. It's Christian without being "churchy" and I appreciate that.