Monday, October 19, 2009

Scripture Memorization

I think Scripture memorization is great. I think the Bible even affirms the idea. Lately though, I have been wondering can we require too much of kids?

Five out of six of my nephews & nieces are in a Christian school - the sixth is not quite 3 years old. They all have to memorize Scripture as part of their schooling - and I think that's great. I had to, but I worry about forcing too much on them at a time. I am not singling out any certain teacher, but it sounds sometimes like there is too much piled on kids at a time. Would it not be better to have them memorize a couple of verses a week that will more likely stick with them, than a dozen or more at a time?

And is there a danger of kids disliking the Bible, if they have to learn a lot of it? Especially if they are not good at memorizing. For often, what we are not good at, becomes something we dislike.

I remember when I was a junior in high school, I had to memorize John 3:1-35. And say it in front of everyone. It took me forever, and more than one trip up in front of the class. Rather humiliating, actually. I can remember one verse out of all thirty-five that I memorized - ok, maybe one or two others, but really, what good did it do forcing me to memorize those thirty-five verses? I resented it, and was very upset, but I had to do it.

I personally feel that there shouldn't be a lot of Scripture at a time required of kids. Maybe a few verses here and there, and if more is desired by the teacher/school, that it be extra credit.

We have a kid in my family who does not do too well in school. I fear what the grades will be like for this kid if memorizing a lot of Scripture hinges on the grade in the end.

So, any thoughts? Is there a danger of requiring kids to learn a lot of Scripture? Should they be required to learn any at all? Just some random thoughts brought on my my experiences in memorizing, and now my nieces & nephews.

5 comments:

Pam said...

I used to teach at a Christian school and the kids worked on 26 verses a year for first grade.
I never made the kids repeat them in front of anyone. We did all our memorizing as a group effort and said the verses together daily.
I homeschool my son and we memorize one to two verses about every two weeks.
He memorizes some in Sunday School also, but his teacher doesn't pressure the kids about it.

~Brenda said...

One of the dangers might be that they don't see the point in it, and if it's difficult for them, they're going to get turned off. Who wants to turn their kid off from the Scriptures??

Balance is probably the key, as with everything else in life. :)

~Brenda

Annette W. said...

I think you have some great points. To me, it seems that memorizing a great deal at once should be a choice...bc it's hard work!

I like the idea of working on a verse (or 3 in a row) over a period of time like several weeks.

Unknown said...

I am a PK and I remember learning verses all of my life. I remember my Grandma having us learn short Psalms when we would visit her. It was always part of SS or a VBS setting and I don't remember a great deal of pressure. I also know that I learned a lot of verses I don't remember BUT if you are in church your entire life you repeatedly learn many of the same verses.
The church camp I have counseled at and been camp nurse for has an awesome program. They have 6 sections of 8 verses and it is a contest BUT each child is required to start over at the beginning each day. So... by the end of the week, whether they learn 1 verse or all of them they have a much better chance of actually hiding God's word in their hearts.
I think that less verses repeated more often is a better plan. I don't like the idea of forcing children to "perform" verses. That takes the worship right out of it, just like clapping after someone sings in church... but that's another issue. :)

Steve-n-Deb said...

A few thoughts as a teacher -- The verses that are memorized in the elementary are built into the curriculum and are related to the Bible lessons. Thoses verses are memorized 1-2 verses a week, although often a few weeks combine to make a longer passage. In 7-10, the students are given 12-20 verses to memorize over a nine week period (which usually averages to less than two verses a week). In 9-10 we read the passage together four days a week (every day except for chapel days). That really helps the students, provided they actually listen to the reading. As far as I know, no one requires public recitation of verses [though I did do that in ACE school, like you did]. In 7-10, the students are offered extra credit for saying the verses early.

Personally, I can't quote all the passages I memorized, but I do recognized them when they are read (and can almost read along without looking) and the concepts are in my mind.

I guess my point is that you have legitimate concerns, but my experience as a teacher is that the curriculum and teachers have considered those concerns in their policies.