Saturday, December 13, 2008

The 12 Pains of Christmas

There is an amusing song, "The 12 Pains of Christmas" that lists 12 things the song writer doesn't like about Christmas. As much as I love the season, there are some things that are a "pain" to me also. Thought I'd share them. :-)

1) Christmas letters. This tops my list. I cannot put into one blog how much I detest getting these. I love getting Christmas cards, especially if the person writes a little personal note - makes me feel good. But to get a letter that has nothing personal in it for me, and was sent to tons of other people - that just doesn't cut it. I don't care how many teeth their kids lost that year, what sport they excelled in. Whether or not their baby got potty trained.........All I want is a Merry Christmas! :-) I rarely read them when I get them, unless it is a close enough friend, then I will skim it. But what a horrid Christmas idea!

2) Santa in the manger. I get the idea. I really do, but I don't like it. Not even a little bit. Santa belongs somewhere else, not in the manger scene. Why not bring in the Easter bunny and the tooth fairy?!

3) Xmas. Yeah, X stands for Christ, blah, blah, blah. I still hate it. Detest it. Find it irreverent. And I would say the biggest percentage of people who use it have no idea it stands for Christ and are just too lazy to spell it out, or don't want to see "Christ" in Christmas.

4) Christmas returns. It is such a pain to go back to exchange after Christmas. I try not to do it. Even holding onto jeans 5 sizes too small, hoping I may get into them some day. OK, 5 sizes is an exaggeration.

5) Christmas cantatas. Ours was really good this year, but I am not usually a fan. Too many of them have weird songs in them and/or take familiar songs and put them to some bizarre tune and arrangement. If you are going to sing Away In A Manger or O Come All Ye Faithful, sing it the way it was written! Dan Forrider picked a great cantata this year, and did an excellent job of conducting it.

6) The end of Christmas. After all of the Christmas presents are opened, and the day is drawing to an end, I don't like it. You wonder if everyone will be here for the next Christmas. What the coming year will bring. Sounds morbid, but I usually go through that.

7) Sending Christmas cards. I am a hypocrite. I admit it, and will say it again. I am a hypocrite. I love to receive Christmas cards, especially when the person writes a short note inside, or at least my name :-), but I don't like making them up very well. This year, I am not sending many. I sent to my aunts who would probably be offended if I didn't. Well, I know one of them would for sure. I sent to my friends in Indiana, and a couple of other people, and that is it. I have a lot of cards, and they are all in my storage unit, and I hate the thought of buying many more.

8) The weight. I eat too much at Christmas. The cookies, candy. But man, I do enjoy it!

9) Christmas letters. Yep. I mentioned it already, but my opinion of them is such, that it deserves another mention. :-) I have actually thought of making one up for anyone who gives me one, and may just do that some day. :-)

10) Christmas photos. This will sound really rude, but not everyone wants a pictures of your kids. Or your dog - got that one last year. :-) Send them to close friends and relatives, but not the whole world. I personally don't mind close friends giving me one, but if someone is a mere acquaintance, I most likely don't have a spot in my photo album that is crying for their picture. :-)

11) Singleness. Being single isn't all that bad. Its got its upsides and its downsides, but so does marriage. But at this time of year, its worse. You hear all of the Christmas songs that are geared for people who have someone. "Merry Christmas, Darling", "All I Want For Christmas Is You". I sing "Merry Christmas, Darling" to my teddy bear, and that helps. Just kidding. I don't even have a teddy bear. :-) It does seem there is so much geared toward families and couples this time of year.

12) Weird Christmas songs. I did a whole blog on this, but it makes #12. There are just some songs that should never have been recorded, and some people who should never have recorded a Christmas song. Or any song.

This blog was done for fun, and I don't sit around mulling about what I don't like about the season, when there is so much more that I love about it. Just don't send me a Christmas letter................................

0 comments: