Tuesday, September 1, 2026

New and notable author: JJ Samie Myles, AKA Skylar J Kent

  


I haven't done much on either of my blogs lately, other than a few book reviews on this one. So I decided to do one of my "new and notable" author posts, where I highlight an author who is either new, new to me, and/or notable...which can be an author that has been around for a while.

 This author is still a fairly new one, and has the added feature of writing under two names. Her real name is JJ Samie Myles. No, I don't know what the JJ stands for. I have been chatting with her some lately, and did not ask. I did ask which was her real name though. 

Her first book was Riot, the third book in the muti-author series, A Breed Apart: Legacy. Then she started a series Task Force SEAR, which has 3 books so far. It is about a team of military/special OPS type men and women who go in other countries and fight bad guys and rescue Christians. It is an awesome series, even though she pulled a Sara Davidson in one of the books and offed someone I liked. 😑

She is an excellent author, and the books are suspenseful, entertaining, and faith-filled.  I reviewed all 3, and the third one just came out in March. Book #4 is coming in 2027. She has been focusing lately on books under her pen name, Skykar J Kent. 


Book blurb about the first book in the Task Force SEAR Series, Crimson Sands (I don't remember what SEAR stands for)

He trusts her with his life, but not with his heart.

Bible Smuggler Dakota Kimani is fearless in spreading the Gospel. When her friends are abducted by a Somali terror organization, she will do anything to rescue them—even reach out to the one man she wronged and vowed to never again contact.

Former Marine Raider Keith McCord isn't one to look the other way when innocents are slaughtered. So yeah, he agrees to help the woman who ripped out his heart. With a team of trusted operators, he infiltrates Somalia and finds himself waging war on terror and old feelings.

“No plan survives contact with the enemy” proves true when the hostage rescue turns dicey. The terrorists' tactics are aggressive and shrewd, leaving Keith questioning the loyalty of his teammates and allies. Meanwhile Dakota wrestles with a dark secret that threatens to destroy the tenuous bond she and Keith have reforged.

Death breathing down their necks, Keith and Dakota are in a fight for their lives, their faith, skills, and trust in each other pushed to the breaking point.

Crimson Sands is a gritty and thrilling second-chance romantic suspense about the persecution of the Christian church.




Skylar J Kent is the pen name of JJ Samie Myles, a name used to write more gritty Christian fiction. They are clean, but she does address issues not usually found in Christian fiction: lust, sex addition, same-sex attractions, etc. She has two series going under that name: Unbreakable Faith, which has two books out so far....and Marino Legacy Series, which has one book out so far, with a second coming in November.

The first book in the Unbreakable Faith Series, Gold Digger,  is a marriage of convenience. A promiscuous young guy, Keaton,  marries a woman in need of money to save his position in his family business. The female character, Layne, has chronic pain that can incapacitate her. The author herself deals with that.

The second book, Desert Thorns centers on Kingsley, brother of the guy in book one....or Brother Samuel, as he prefers to be known. He has chosen the vocation of a monk studying for the priesthood. Harley, a young woman hiding from her ex boyfriend/evil cop, takes up hiding in the monastery/church's guesthouse. Kingsley/Brother Samuel and Harley are like gasoline and matches. My favorite line in the book "You can't arrest him for wearing the armor of God!" This is probably my favorite book so far by her of all her books under either author name. 


                                                         (from the author's Instagram post)


Book description of Desert Thorns:

HARLEY
I sport a track record of falling for the wrong men. But a monk? Yup, he takes the cake.

Loneliness has driven me to make poor decisions in the past, like dating a detective who turned out to be a killer. Now my ex is after me because I saw too much.

A monastery is the last place I expect to find refuge, let alone in the arms of a monk about to become a priest. But Brother Samuel—formerly Kingsley Grady, son of billionaires—is bent on keeping me safe.

Even when I decide to dig into my ex’s dark secret.

KINGSLEY
The forbidden fruit tastes sweet—until you reap the consequences.

When a woman scrambles over the walls of Saint James Monastery in the dead of night, I vow to protect her. A dicey move, considering Harley Raines is a vortex of allure and danger.

One weak moment spirals into a cycle of sin and crushing guilt. Though I’m steeled for repercussions, they prove far worse than expected. And then Harley’s ex unleashes his revenge on us for meddling in his affairs.

But what if the abyss is the place where I can finally grasp the fullness of God’s mercy?

Desert Thorns is a daring Christian contemporary romance about forbidden love, sexual immorality from a biblical viewpoint, and God's mercy—with an edge of suspense.

There are two books out so far, and I think a third one projected. 

And her other series under this pen name: Marino Family Legacy. There is only one book out so far, with book two coming in November, and a third at some point. This series is about....wait for it.....the mafia. The main character is Rome, in charge of his family's mafia enterprise. We meet him in Desert Thorns, so the two series are a bit entwined. The characters from the other series make appearances in Cruel Blood. A Christian mafia series? She pulls it off. It was an awesome read. 

Book blurb of Cruel Blood: 

ROME
I never thought my rotten heart would get hung up on another woman, but she proved me wrong.

My brother was about to take over our dying father's legacy when he got busted. So now I'm in charge of the Marino family—and his ornery teen daughter, Giuliana. When she gets kicked out of high school and needs a teacher, I hire the woman I haven’t been able to shake from my mind since the first time we met.

I should keep my hands off Bella Ives, and not only because she isn't built for the underworld. But I don't—and find myself begging God for mercy.

BELLA
They warned me about him, but nothing could have prepared me for who he really is.

Everyone knows getting mixed up with the Mafia is a bad idea. Blame it on my savior complex or the reference I need for my dream job, but I agree to homeschool the niece of a mob boss.

Romeo Marino is as brutal as they say. For some reason he wants me, and I let him pursue me. After all, he is bent on turning his back on the mob life.

But when his brother returns to claim his legacy, not only Rome but Giuliana and I are swept into a dangerous game. And it’s about to turn lethal.

Cruel Blood is a gritty Christian mafia romance about a mob boss caught between darkness and light. It's the first installment in the Marino Legacy Trilogy.

Book 2, Lucid Nightmare, coming November 25, 2026.


















About the author, taken from her website:

"All glory to God

I'm always on the hunt for a thrilling adventure, be it in real life (not so much anymore these days) or the fictional realm. Having traveled the globe and interacted with people from all walks of life, the topics I pen about are inspired by real-life experiences or events, and are often gritty. My mission is to share the beauty of God’s light in a dark world and encourage my readers in their faith.

After releasing my debut Riot with a traditional publisher, I now walk the indie path because looming deadlines and chronic illness/pain don't mesh. I'm forever grateful that God uses me to reach people even though I'm 90% bedridden. All glory goes to Him.

I'm fluent in savage banter, obsessed with the ocean, and love to laugh."

Check out her website at JJSamieMyles.com. So far she does not have a website for Skylar J Kent. 



0 comments: