Monday, January 25, 2010

How To Become A Psycopathic Stalker, a Guest Post by Mike Dellosso

I asked Christian fiction author Mike Dellosso if he would do a guest blog post for me, so here it is. Thanks, Mike. Readers, if you have never read his books, check them out, he is an excellent writer.

Recently, on my own blog I wrote a post called “I See Dead People” all about my near-obsession with watching people. Here, on Mark’s blog, I’d like to talk a little about my secret to creating characters reader’s care about.

There are three simple things any writer can do to sharpen his or her skills in writing believable characters that draw the reader in, characters that demand to be remembered long after the last page of the book is turned. Or, if you're not a writer, three simple things anyone can do to develop a better understanding of people, what drives them, what motivates them, what scares them . . . you get the picture.

Here they are:

Watch people. Find a place that is populated—your local mall, movie theatre on a Friday or Saturday night, auction house, or even supermarket—and watch people. You can sit in one place or just mill around looking like you’re one of the crowd. Take note of facial expressions, hand gestures, personal space, postural changes, gait patterns, body shapes and sizes, hair styles, and anything else you notice. Try to read the body language you see and concoct scenarios to accompany it. Use those non-verbal cues you see to get past the exterior and catch a glimpse of the person’s heart, motivations, fears, insecurities, and weaknesses.

Oh, I know this all sounds really creepy, like a lesson on how to be a successful psychopathic stalker, but it really isn’t. Well, maybe it is, but it’s innocent and for a good cause. In order to really understand people you have to hear what they’re not telling you.

Listen to people. Okay, so while you’re watching those mall shoppers or movie-goers, listen in on their conversations. Yes, it’s eavesdropping. Get over it. No harm, no foul. You’re not doing it for evil purposes, you’re doing “research.” And research is scientific. So if anyone ever catches you dropping in on their conversation just say, “I, um, I’m a researcher. A scientist.” Then walk away as fast as you can and don’t look back. No, seriously, don’t make it obvious. But listen to their tone, their choice of words, their voice inflections. Do they speak “good English” or do they butcher the language? Are they loud-mouthed and obnoxious or do they respect that they’re in a public setting and keep their voices low? Do they talk fast and furiously, like they’re trying to keep up with some conveyor belt feeding them words or are they methodical and thoughtful with their speech? Listen for accents, colloquialisms, slang, and the sort. These are all things that will tell you more about the person than they care to reveal.

Talk to people. Now this is the one that’s most uncomfortable for some of us. I’m an introvert by nature so the first two are easy. I just blend in and do my, um, research. This is the one where you have to actually engage people. Start conversations and begin asking questions. Then just talk, you know, like two people do. Back and forth, sharing information. And while you’re talking pay attention to the first two points, what their body is saying and what they are actually saying. The exchanges in a real conversation can give you a deeper look into the heart of a person. If you’re paying attention.

So that’s my recipe for becoming a full-fledged, card-carrying psychopathic stalker. Or, if you like the sweeter version, my recipe for gaining insight into the nature and behaviors of people.

So, go find a nice populated place and . . . start stalking.



Mike Dellosso is the author of three books, The Hunted, Scream, and the soon-to-be-released Darlington Woods (May 4). In addition to writing and his "real job", he is also an adjunct professor at Lancaster Bible College in Lancaster, PA. Mike lives in Hanover, PA with his wife, three daughters, and black Lab who follows him around everywhere he goes. Keep up with his thoughts and life at MikeDellosso.com.

3 comments:

Annette W. said...

This was amusing...but insightful, as intended. I haven't read Mike yet...I think I need to give him a try!!

Kimmy said...

I love the post title;-)

I have tried people watching in the past, but I was not very good at it. Perhaps I will attempt it again using these tips.

I love reading characters that I can really connect with and care about. It is nice to see an author who puts a lot of effort into making that happen.

I haven't read any of Dellosso's books yet, but I now intend to.

Thanks for the guest post!

Unknown said...

Agatha Christie said she would observe people on the bus. If she found them interesting, she would invent a personality and life history for them. These then became characters in her books. So you're in good company and right on in your suggestions. Observation and common sense have made it possible for me to write and publish Angela 1: Starting Over (the first in a series of three set in a coastal Texas high school) and to write believably from the the viewpoint of a teenage girl. If you would like to know more, please click on my name and follow the link to my website. Thanks!