Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Nothin' But Good

In addition to my book reviews, I will be reviewing a few CDs in the next couple of weeks. First up, Nothin' But Good by the Mike Lefevre Quartet.

Mike Lefevre was the baritone for Gold City Quartet in the late 80's-early 90's, when they were at their best, in my humble opinion. Iknew he had started his own quartet, but had never heard them. I must say I am impressed.

The CD kicks off with an old Southern Gospel/quartet number, Let Me Tell You About Jesus, and there are a few other traditional Southern Gospel songs on the CD: It's Time To Sing - awesome song, Didn't It Rain (ok), & Big Mighty God.

There were a few surprises for me on the CD. The last song on the CD, Jesus Saves, is not Southern Gospel at all. It was written and recorded by Praise & Worship leader, Travis Cottrell, but these guys do an awesome job, and it is my favorite song on the project.

Another great cut, and not having much SG sound, is Take My Life - great song.

The slow and thought-provoking He Thought of Us reminds us we were on Jesus' mind throughout His ordeal at Calvary.

You're Never Too Far Away is a great song of hope and assurance that we are never too far away for God to hear us, even if we stray.

Glorious
is another song that doesn't have a lot of SG flavor, and simply talks about how great God is. Another favorite cut.

Last One Worthy
talks about our unworthiness, and how thankful we need to be.

I don't feel this is the typical Southern Gospel quartet sound, but overall it is a great-sounding CD. If you like Southern Gospel, you will definitely enjoy it. Check this group out.

0 comments: