Friday, July 17, 2009

What Bothers Me Most About Christianity

OK, I admit it. I read too much fiction, and not enough non-fiction. Given a choice on books to review, this one stuck out to me. "What Bothers Me Most About Christianity, Honest Reflections From An Open-Minded Christ Follower." I have done some fiction reviews, but not too many non-fiction, but this is a book I would want to plug anyway.


The title intrigued me, for a couple of reasons. We all have questions, but all too many of us bury them, afraid that someone will un-Christianize us if we voice them. And I was intrigued that a Christian would actually write the book.


The author, Ed Grungor examines nine things that bother him about Christianity, devoting a chapter a piece to each question. He does it in a very thoughtful and careful way, and though he gets his point across, he leaves you with the certainty that God does know what He is doing, and that Christianity is not just the best way - it is the only way.

The book opens with a brief explanation of the book. His reasons for writing it, and his fears - fear that people will think he is against Christianity. Then he dives into the messy issues:

· A Hide-and-Seek God

· An Unreasonable Faith

· An Evil World

· A Lone Savior

· The Science-Faith Smack down

· An All-Too-Human Church

· An Old Testament “Bully”

· A Misuse of Scripture

· A Torturous Hell

He covered some of my questions. As he said, faith is messy, and the answers aren't easy. One chapter that I identified most, was the first. "A Hide and Seek God." This is personal, but I have struggled with God being so invisible. It would be easier to trust Him, to love Him if we could see Him, or if He spoke audibly.....but as he pointed out, if we could see Him, then we wouldn't need faith to trust Him.

The whole book was good, and he really does an excellent job of addressing each question.

The book ends with an interview with the author, and some discussion questions. I think it would make a great group study book, or for any individual who has questions in some of these areas. Your questions may not be completely answered, but you will walk away better understanding why God works as He does.

1 comments:

Craig and Heather said...

One chapter that I identified most, was the first. "A Hide and Seek God." This is personal, but I have struggled with God being so invisible. It would be easier to trust Him, to love Him if we could see Him, or if He spoke audibly.....but as he pointed out, if we could see Him, then we wouldn't need faith to trust Him.

Reminds me of John 20:29 Jesus said to him, Thomas, because you have seen Me you have believed. Blessed are they who have not seen and have believed.