Saturday, July 25, 2009

The Buzzards Are Circling

I just read one of the best encouragement-type books that I have read in a long time: The Buzzards Are Circling, But God's Not Done With Me Yet." I admit, the title caught my eye because of my last name - pronounced the same, spelled with one less "z". but the book also sounded like something I'd like to read, so here I sit, having just finished it.

Written by Stan Toler, a Nazarene minister, the book is a humorous look at what to do when the "buzzards are circling" - when life is hitting us hard from every side. With chapter titles like When your world crumbles, you don't have to be one of the crumbs, When the fountain of youth has rusted, and I Know I'm Lost, but the scenery is spectacular, he gets his point across, and makes you think.


Drawing on the experiences of Paul, Jonah, and Peter, personal stories, and stories about others, he shows that no matter how hard life gets, we need to trust God, and that God is there, even when everything is going wrong.

The book is full of amusing and though-provoking stories, and he even addresses pity parties - something we are all guilty of. One quote that stood out to me, as it hit me between the eyes was: "sometimes we feel abandoned:.....alone, abandoned. "why me, Lord?" we inquire. But often, Heaven is silent - not because there isn't any concern up there, but because we make such loud groaning noises down here, that we cannot hear the still small voice of assurance". Ouch!

Or: "You can trust the Lord too little, but you can never trust Him too much."

Also full of Scripture, principles for life, and even some hymn lyrics, I found this book very encouraging. Yes, it is humorous, but the book is a great reminder that God is in control, and that He does care about us. Even when the buzzards are circling.

If you need cheered up, if you feel like nothing in life is going your way, read this book. Of course, God & His Word are where we should go first, but books like this one can be a big help also. Check out Stan Toler's books - you won't be disappointed.

0 comments: