Tuesday, July 22, 2008

The Inconvenience of the ACLU

The ACLU (American Civil Liberties Union) claims that they are not anti-Christian. I beg to differ. If you look at their list of "victories", the vast majority of them are cases they won against Christians, Christian symbols, etc.

When I moved to Indiana, I applied at Target, and a manager came to interview me immediately after I submitted my application via a computer there. The first thing she asked me was if I could work Sundays, and when I said I couldn't, and why, she said they couldn't hire me because they needed people who could work Sundays.

The ACLU is lower than a snake's belly, but I decided to see what they would do for me. A discriminated against Christian. Answer? Nothing. Nada. Their reply was that if if was an "inconvenience" for the store have an employee not work Sundays, that there was no legal grounds for a cry of discrimination.

Inconvenience huh? What about the inconvenience of the city of Stow, OH a few years back. The city seal was a 4 part. It had a t with 4 symbols spread out in each corner. One of those symbols was a cross, so of course the evil ACLU took the city to court and won. The cross part of the seal had to be taped over on police cars and other places in public until it could be painted over and/or removed. Sounds like an inconvenience to me.

And just lately in the news: the case against CBS for the Janet Jackson/Justin Timberlake stunt was thrown out, and the ACLU is cheering the decision. What about the inconvenience of people who didn't want to see Janet Jackson's breast in between watching football? Forget that, free speech rules! (Unless of course, you are a Christian speaking out against anything the ACLU is for).

And of course, the biggie: The 10 Commandments. A lot of inconvenience there. And not to forget the inconvenience of countless people having to pay lawyers and court costs just because the evil ACLU decided the rights of some poor atheistic type of person was being trampled.

Inconvenience only becomes an issue when it is the most discriminated against minority is the issue. A white Christian. If I told the ACLU I was gay, Muslim, black, Hispanic, or an illegal alien, they would battle to the death for my rights, but since I am a Christian white male, I have no rights, and all they worry about is inconveniencing someone else.

Since my move, I have been applying for work several places. I have great retail experience, and hoped to get on in that line of work, but since I put not available on Sundays on my applications, I never hear anything. I can't prove it, but am sure that is the issue. A friend of mine was halfway through phone interview at Walmart a while back and the woman talking to him was impressed with what he would be able to do until she looked at his application and saw no Sunday work. That ended the chance. She told him they needed people to work Sundays. So based on that, I think it would be safe to say Walmart has not called me because of the same issue.

But even if I had concrete proof that Home Depot, Walmart, and other places wouldn't hire me because for religious reasons, would the ACLU care? Would they fight this discrimination? No. They hate Christians and don't care about our rights. Our rights are the ones they daily battle against. If I were a Muslim wanting my holy day off, they would fight for that. But a Christian holy day doesn't matter.

So do I believe their excuse that if it is inconvenient for a store or place of employment to refuse me employment if it is an inconvenience to have me off on Sundays so I can go to church and follow what the Bible says? Not one iota. The ACLU loves to inconvenience people, as long as the people facing the inconvenience are we Christians.

Somebody needs to take these stores to court, and win. Then they might be afraid to discriminate against me, and others who share my beliefs, but that won't happen in my lifetime.

1 comments:

Steven said...

Good post. Maybe they should change their name to "Anti-Christian Liberties Union."