Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Go To Canada to Get Free and Stupid

I was reading on a news site about a US military deserter that our wonderful neighbor Canada is sending back to the US, unusual because they normally allow any deserters to stay in their country and take up residence. As you would expect, there are many comments on the story, most of them Canadians, and most of them stupid people who are mad because of it. I don't get that - I sure wouldn't want a deserter as my neighbor, but of course it is Bush's fault, and the poor guy should be allowed to follow his conscience..........

But aren't they all missing something here? When a man, or woman, signs on for the military, they are giving up the right to do what they want to do. They are now the property of Uncle Sam, and must do what the US wants them to do. I have absolutely no sympathy for these people who sign on, and then decide they don't want to go to Iraq or Afghanistan, and run for the Canadian border. That's pretty much like a fireman running from the first fire he has to fight, or a policeman running from the first altercation he faces...........I don't know if these losers sign up for the benefits of being in the military, i.e. college paid, etc, and think they can avoid any actual military action, but come on, get a life!

I have to wonder if the US really has any friends anymore. Canada is supposedly our ally, yet they are normally so willing to harbor people deserting our military? I don't think so. And from reading the comments on the news site I was on, it seems more Canadians than not, side with the deserters and are willing to harbor them. Wonder how they would feel if the shoe was on the other foot? The US harboring Canadians? I don't think they would view it favorably.