Book description:
ROME
I swore to kill him if I ever saw him again, and now he's back.
Every kid knows the feeling of having a monster under the bed, but mine wanted me in his sheets. Two decades later, Father Norman has the guts to show his mug again, still playing the good shepherd.
I'm out for revenge, but then I learn he has friends. Lots of them. And one of the offenders is close with the woman I love.
BELLA
I always knew that evil lived among us, but I wasn't aware just how close it lurks.
My family is anything but happy that I'm dating a mob boss, and they make no secret of their aversion to Rome. Despite my efforts to appease them, things only get worse. Then Rome starts distancing himself from me without explanation.
When a loved one of mine is suspected of being involved in child trafficking, I start digging for proof. What I uncover shatters my world into a million pieces—and paints a target on both Rome’s back and mine.
Lucid Nightmare is a gritty Christian mafia romance about a mob boss caught between darkness and light. It's the second installment in the Marino Legacy Trilogy and picks up right where Cruel Blood (book one) left off.
My review:
This is the second gritty book I have reviewed in the same day. Skylar Kent is a pen name for JJ Samie Myles who also writes under that name. Skylar Kent is a name she uses for her more gritty fiction.
I was a bit dubious about a Christian mafia fiction series, but it works. Kent (Myles) is a great author, and she actually pulls it off. I loved the first book in this series, Cruel Blood, and have been looking forward to reading this one.
It isn't for the faint of heart. There are warnings in the front of Kent's books, telling what subject matter is in the book. And as the book blurb says, this one covers the sexual exploration of a child by a priest. There are no graphic details given about that, but this is not your grandma's Janette Oke fiction. This is truly gritty fiction, yet are topics that need addressed in Christian fiction.
There was one scene in the book....no offense to the author...but the main character and his friends were rescuing kids that were being used by some very bad people. The main character did something that I feel should not be in the book, as it was a bit too graphic. But maybe others may not think so.
But overall, this was a great read, other than a major cliffhanger ending. 😐 Again, this is a great read and series, but one should read the content warnings before reading them.
Special thanks to the author for an advance e-book copy of this novel. I was under no obligation to provide a review and the thoughts contained herein are my own.
About the author:
Skylar J. Kent writes contemporary romance with a dash of suspense, "boldly going where Christian fiction hasn't gone before." Despite suffering from a chronic illness, she always finds a reason to laugh and enjoy the beauty of life. The stories Skylar pens aim to encourage readers in their faith and show that no soul is beyond God's reach.
There is no website for Skylar, but she does have one under her real name, covering only books written under that name:
JJSamieMyles.com.
Book #1




0 comments:
Post a Comment