Tuesday, August 15, 2023

What the bleep is going on with some Christian authors?


 I love Christian fiction. I love reading it, learning about new authors, doing my best to support authors and Christian fiction.

This is not just a soapbox issue. This is not something I just feel is my opinion. I believe 100% there is Biblical basis for what I believe and try to get across in this post.

 In this blog post, I am addressing one of my major pet peeves in Christian fiction: curse words and other inappropriate words in Christian books.

 Some years back, Thomas Nelson Publishing started putting some curse words in their Christian fiction. I contacted them about the language in a book I had just bought and read, and the president of the company actually called me. We chatted, and he offered to send me another fiction book. This is sad: He did a word search, and had a hard time finding a fiction book with no objectionable language (at that time). They did seem to clean up their act, and it may have had something to do with a new president.

There is a Christian fiction group I am in on Facebook, Avid Readers of Christian Fiction. It is the one I mentioned a while back that is run like a HOA. (It seriously is!) Several months back, an author I had never heard of did a post complaining that Christian publishers censor authors from putting curse words in books. (Seriously?!) She got a lot of disagreement - sadly some agreement - and the post was removed.

More recently, a couple of books I read has the subject on my mind. There is a new author that came out with his first novel last year with Tyndale Publishing. It sounded really good, but came out in hardback and I didn't want to spend that kind of money on a new author. (Hardbacks are so overpriced!) I found it a while back on eBay for a decent price, and bought it.

It was a really good and exciting read. The main character is former military, and gets into some trouble when he gets home,, and gets involved in taking some bad guys down.

Unfortunately, the author tossed around some words that should not be in a Christian book. I unapologetically say that.

Hell was used as an expletive several times.

Though it isn't a curse word, the vulgar term for urinating that is used in place of "ticked off" was also used. A lot. (I doubt these authors would toss that word around in front of their kids or pastor).

At least one use of "King James donkey" was used.

A few uses of BS

At least one use of bastard, and not in the original meaning, but as a slur.

   A second book just came out August 8. I debated about getting it. The main character had somewhat of a conversion at the end of the book, so I hoped that might change things. So I bought and read it. The language wasn't as bad. The author did use his favorites a few times, hell as an expletive and the vulgar word for ticked off. 

  It might not seem like a big deal. An author I like said, in reference to the first book: "Considering the character's military background, it really does make it more accurate to his character." Huh? That is not reason for a Christian author to put that kind of language in a Christian book, nor reason for a Christian publisher to allow it.  I had another author defend the use of a definite curse word in one of her books saying "That is the way he would have talked." (Her character). I read her most recent book last night, and it had hell as an expletive once, and the vulgar ticked off word. Another author once used the military excuse for a curse word.

So if the character is the type to use the "F-word", will these Christian authors start using it? If they have pre-marital sex, will they describe the act?

  I don't believe there is ever a reason or excuse for vulgar or curse words to be in a Christian book.



#1 Christians should not use that kind of language, even in a book.

#2 When an author puts curse and vulgar words in a book, they are subjecting other Christians to reading them. I have had non Christians apologize to me for using curse words in my presence, yet there are Christian authors and publishers who defend using them in their books. What does it say about a Christian if they don't care about offending other Christians with offensive language, while you have non Christians apologizing for using?

Did it occur to the author those words would offend some of his readers? Did it occur to Tyndale Publishing that they would offend some of their readers and that it is a poor representation of their company and the principles they used to hold? Do they not care?

#3 I loan books out to people in my church and family, including my 16 year old nephew. There is no way I would loan them books with cursing in them. Last week, the wife of my denomination's president (and my former pastor) messaged me and said she was bored and needed books (she had a hip replacement). There is no way I would have loaned her books with that kind of language in it.

  Yes, we run onto bad language everywhere. When Donald Trump was running the first time, a man from my church posted on Facebook that he didn't want his young children watching the debates because of the language Trump used. I don't know what people said in reply to that, but I shared it and was ridiculed by Christians saying kids are going to hear that kind of language anyway.



Here's the thing: There are certain places you shouldn't have to worry about such things. Like in church, listening to Christian music, reading Christian books.

Speaking of Christian music, I read an article recently decrying curse words and sensuality being put in Christian music. Wow. But there was a day it was unheard of to have it in a Christian book. There was a day people would have gotten bleeped out for saying words on the radio that are in the books I just read. 

Maybe we have become too accustomed to bad language. I know of professing Christians who think nothing of tossing the F word around.

But Christians are to be different. The Bible addresses how we talk. 

Cursing in some of these Christian books has been defended as it makes it more realistic. Realistic. Is Christianity realistic? Is what Jesus did realistic?    

If these authors and publishers keep at it, will be see the F word and other really bad words in Christian fiction?


A lot of authors write suspense and military and avoid bad language. Why can't the author say ticked off instead? Instead of putting in a curse word, why can't the author say the character muttered a curse? Other authors do it that way.

I have read a lot of the Christian line of books published by Harlequin publishing...a secular company that has some pretty raunchy books published....yet I have never found an objectional word in their Christian novels. 

But I cannot say the same thing about Tyndale, a long time Christian publisher.

Christian fiction, author, and Christian publishers should be held to a higher standard. 

There is no reason or excuse to put bad language in a Christian book.

None.

If the authors want to use that kind of language, then write and market their books for the secular market.

Not for the Christian market.

By the way, I gave that author's book 4 stars, mentioned the language as I did in my review for the first, and challenged him to write the third book with no cursing or vulgar words. I promised him 5 stars if he does 😀


   So thanks to the Christian authors and publishers who keep their books clean and curse-word free.  Keep it up. I am sure I am not the only one who appreciates it.






0 comments: