Sunday, April 30, 2023

Interview with author Stepenia H McGee

 


As part of the book launch for The Swinder's Daughter by Stephenia H McGee, I signed up to do an interview with the author. My review of the book is in the previous blog post.


Me: Question #1. Why do you write Christian fiction instead of secular fiction?

Stephenia: I never intended to write fiction at all. I’d decided to be a veterinarian and horse trainer, but it turned out that God had other plans. I had always been an avid reader and came up with story ideas all of the time. One day my husband insisted I start writing these ideas down. It took a lot of time and work, but I knew that writing books was what God had designed for my work life. My relationship with Jesus is very important to me, so I can’t imagine using this gifting and calling he has given to me to do anything other than to write stories that aim to bring the glory back to Him. 


Me: Question #2. What do you hope to get across to your readers as they read the words you have written?


Stephenia: My newest book, The Swindler’s Daughter, has a theme I’ve noticed shows up in several of my books. “What do I do when God’s plan isn’t what I thought I wanted?” As you can probably gather from my previous answer, this theme hits home with me. In the story, Lillian and Jonah both have to learn what it means to trust God with their futures. I hope my readers will see a little of their own lives and trials through the story and it will encourage them to deepen that trust as well. 


Me: Question #3. You are an author who writes more than one genre'. From what I have read and seen, mostly historical and time travel books. Do you have a favorite genre' to write......and is there a genre' you have not written, but would like to some day?

Stephenia: I don’t know that I can say I have a favorite, though one did come from the other. I enjoy history and so I first became a historical writer. Then I kept thinking, what would it be like to actually get to visit those times that I’m always researching? That’s when the time travel stories began. I love them because they are just so much fun. I love imagining what it would be like to be a modern person suddenly dropped in a very different era—and all the comical challenges that brings.

I have also written a contemporary Southern women’s fiction book, and I hope to write one or two more set in that same town someday.

I’ve never attempted to write fantasy, but I’d love to try. I think the freedom of creating an entire world from scratch (and not having to make sure all of my historical details are accurate!) would be a ton of fun. 


Me: Question #4. As a reader, what is your favorite genre', or genre's? Who are authors that are on your must read stack?


Stephenia: Oh goodness, well, my shelves are packed with everything from historical romance to fantasy to suspense. I love them all. I went to Baker Book House and filled up an entire shopping cart. I don’t really have a favorite so much as “what am I in the mood for.” Sometimes that’s light and airy like a romantic comedy, and sometimes I’m looking for “edge-of-my-seat can I figure out the killer” kind of books. 

My go-to authors who I read everything from (no need to even read the back of the book) are Jocelyn Green, Laura Frantz, Joanna Davidson Politano, Patricia Bradley, Brandon Sanderson, Morgan L. Busse, Bethany Turner, Pepper Basham, and honestly probably at least a dozen others I’m not thinking of off the top of my head. 


Me: Question #5. Can you tell your readers a little about you and your family...kids? How long you have been married?

Stephenia: I’d love to. I have been married to the most wonderful man God could have ever picked for me for 20 years this coming August. We got married at 19 (after three months dating, three months engaged) and have been happily building our romance ever since. We have two awesome boys, ages 15 and 13. They are polar opposites and keep us on our toes, but we wouldn’t have it any other way. I also have an honorary fur baby. If you’ve connected with me on social media, you’ve probably seen Spinnie. She’s my writing buddy and spoiled princess dog. 


Me: Question #6 Do you have anything in the works after The Swindler's Daughter?

Stephenia: After The Swindler’s Daughter, I have book five in my Back Inn Time series, A Gilded Age Getaway, releasing in July. Then we start off a new historical romance series (The River Romances) with The River Queen, releasing in October. I’ve just finished up edits on A Gilded Age Getaway, and am currently starting to plot out book six in the Back Inn Time Series, A Taste of the Twenties, which will come out this December. 


Me: Question #7. Is there anything you would like your readers to know about you and your books?

Stephenia: I hope my books will transport you to another world where skirts are a bit longer, hats a bit bigger, and hometown goodness and the value of family tugs your heartstrings. But really, beyond any of the settings or characters of the books I write, I hope you close the final page filled with hope. I want you to know how much God loves you and that your life has great purpose and meaning. I love books, and so for as long as God keeps giving me the ability, I hope to keep bringing them to you. Together, we get to share a special kind of friendship through the power of story.


  Thanks to Stephenia for the interview, and for writing quality Christian fiction. I highly recommend her books.

Definitely check out her newest book: The Swindler's Daughter.



Check out some of her other books: 

                                              The Back In Time Series



               Ironwood Plantation Family Saga










0 comments: