Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Kids

Disclaimer: I am in no way putting down or criticizing people who are unable to have children in this blog post.

I ran across a facebook group recently that really irritates me. It is called "Happy Childfree", and they describe themselves as "Childfreedom is choosing not to create or raise any children. It's about wanting to devote our lives to other objectives. For some that is their careers, for others their hobbies. Most childfree people recognize that parenting is a stressful, time-consuming and often... thankless job, and we'd rather do something else with our lives."

I'm not married, thought I want to be. Life just hasn't worked out the way I wanted it to. But... I love kids. If I were married, I'd have as many as I could afford to provide for. I do have 3 nieces and 3 nephews who I think the world of, and I dare say that I love them as much as many parents love their own children, and more than some do.

This groups has sparked a debate/argument between myself and a friend. She thinks it is fine and normal for people - and even Christians - to not want kids. At all. Ever. I think it is selfish (look at the description of the group above) and is the philosophy that has spawned the abortion industry - people not wanting kids, getting pregnant, and aborting the baby. I also believe it is going against what God wants if you can have children, and won't. I have seen couples who wanted careers, vacations, fun - all that, and felt kids would get in the way of what they wanted to do, so they opted not to have children. Some may say that is for the best, but I disagree. Sure, there are people unfit to be parents, but kids are great! We should have them, and the more the merrier.

I have argued up and down with her, and give up. She actually told me people can have selfish reasons for wanting kids. I have, however, decided to blog about it and see what God has to say about it.

Psalm 127: 3-5: Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord, the fruit of the womb a reward. Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children of one's youth. Blessed is the man who fills his quiver with them! He shall not be put to shame when he speaks with his enemies in the gate.

John 16:21: When a woman is giving birth, she has sorrow because her hour has come, but when she has delivered the baby, she no longer remembers the anguish, for joy that a human being has been born into the world.

Genesis 1:28: Then God blessed them, and God said to them, “Be fruitful and multiply; fill the earth and subdue it; have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over every living thing that moves on the earth.”  ( I don't believe this command was just for Adam and Eve, but for all of us)

Genesis 8:17: Bring out with you every living thing of all flesh that is with you: birds and cattle and every creeping thing that creeps on the earth, so that they may abound on the earth, and be fruitful and multiply on the earth (spoken to Noah, but again, something for all mankind)

Matthew 18: 1-3: At that time the disciples came to Jesus, saying, “Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?” And calling to him a child, he put him in the midst of them and said, “Truly, I say to you, unless you turn and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.

I am convinced that God loves kids. That His main purpose for marriage is procreation. And yes, some people are unable to have children, or even marry, but those who can, should. I am thankful that my two sisters are not part of this "happy childless" group, for though some might say I am selfish, I love being an uncle, and I am uncle to 6  of  the greatest kids in the world: Stephanie (14), Allison (11), Caitlin (9), Josiah (8), Benjamin (5), and Nathan (3). These 6 have brought so much joy and enjoyment to our family, I cannot imagine life without them.







So........ celebrate life, family, and kids. And you "happy childfree" people - be glad your parents weren't "happy childfree"

And I can handle polite comments disgreeing with me, but if your blogger profile is private, I will not publish your comment.

3 comments:

Kim M. said...

I cannot imagine my life without my little blessings. Just this morning, my sweet Justin woke up before I did.

He came into my room and said "Mom, I tried to make you some coffee but I couldn't figure out how to put the paper in". How thankful I am that these precious treasures are in my life.

Kimmy said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

As a PROUD aunt of 12 blessings, a "married late in life" sort whose only child went to heaven before he/she was born I couldn't agree with you more! I would never choose NOT to have children... but then the bottom line for us, as christians, is that we should let God choose for us... then there are no regrets, no mistakes!