Saturday, December 26, 2009

Top 10 Books of 2009

I read over 100 books in 2009, and decided to list my top 10 list, not in any particular order, but these are what I feel are the best books I have read this year:

1) Fatal Illustions by Adam Blumer - Christian Fiction, suspense. This author's first book, and it was an awesome read. Though full of suspense and mystery, still extremely Christian in content. My sister thought it was too scary, but it was just right.

2) The Unfinished Gift by Dan Walsh - Christian Fiction, Christmas. Another new author's first book. I recently reviewed it, and consider it one of the best Christmas stories I have ever read, and one of the top 10 books for this year that I read.

3) The Riley Covington Series by Jason Elam & Steve Yohn - Christian Fiction, suspense/action. I read all 3 books in this series this year, and loved them. Since all 3 were excellent, I am counting the series as one here. Full of action and suspense, I highly recommend this series, especially for men, but my sister loved the books too.

4) Scream by Mike Dellosso -Christian Fiction, suspense. Mike is a fairly new author, Scream being his second book. I enjoyed his first, Hunted, and he only got better with Scream. He is another author who pulls no punches with the Christian message in his books. An author to watch.

5) Defenders of Hope series by Amy Wallace - Christian Fiction, suspense/mystery. The third book in this series, Enduring Justice, was my first book I was officially given to review. I read all 3 books in the series in 2009, and really enjoyed all three. The author combines suspense and mystery, a solid Christian message, and extremely flawed characters and comes up with a great story -three times. Highly recommended for mystery & suspense readers, and another author to keep your eye on.

6) Losing God: Clinging to Faith Through Doubt and Depression by Matt Rogers - Christian "Self-help". I haven't read many books dealing with depression, but thought this was an excellent one. The author chronicles his own story of depression and getting through it. I found the book extremely encouraging and helpful, and probably need to read it again.

7) The Dreamhouse Kings Series by Robert Liparulo - Young adult Fiction - though published by a Christian publisher, there isn't much Christian content in these books, 5 of 6 out right now - but they are excellent, and something adults can enjoy too. Definitely among the best books I have read in 2009. I am eagerly awaiting the sixth and final book coming out in a few months.

8) Firstborn by Conlan Brown - Christian Fiction, suspense. One of the most recent books I reviewed, and one of the best I have read this year. Suspense with supernatural aspects, I was pulled into the story and enjoyed the whole book. This was the first book by this young author, and definitely worth reading.

9) Sophie Trace Trilogy by Kathy Herman - Christian Fiction, suspense & mystery. Two of the three books are out in this series, and I am really enjoying it. Another author who pulls no punches with her Christian message, Kathy also spins a great story of mystery and suspense. I personally think this is her best series yet. She only gets better.

10) If God Is Good....Faith In The Midst of Suffering and Evil by Randy Alcorn - Christian living. The best book I have ever read that tackles the question of how can God be good and allow evil and suffering. The author doesn't answer it in a few quick sentences either. This is a thick book, yet interesting and easy to read.

6 comments:

Molly said...

Awesome choices,Mark! Some are in my TBR pile and some I've read....,thanks for sharing!!!
Blessings!
Molly

Craig and Heather said...

I'll have to remember to check your list if I'm ever looking for a "good read".

Hope you had a wonderful Christmas, Mark!

God bless,
Heather

Adam Blumer said...

Wow, Mark. I'm highly honored. Thanks for the encouraging words. To God be the glory!

Mike Dellosso said...

Hey, Mark, thanks for including Scream on your list. Some of those books I've read, some I've endorsed, others I'll have to check out. Great list!

Unknown said...

The last book sounds excellent. It is an usually important and difficult question. In my experience, God has never promised us that we would not suffer. On the contrary, some suffering is necessary to begin to understand what He goes through in order to love us and offer redemption. In suffering we also see Him come to aid us. My new release, Angela 1: Starting Over, does not deal with suffering but it does deal with the basic fact that if we call on people to live by integrity, we will be persecuted. To learn more, please click on my name and follow the link to my website. Thanks!

Unknown said...

Given your interest in first-time novelists and in Christian literature in the best sense of the word (and in books accessible to teens but also of interest to adults), I beg leave to let you and your readers know about my new release, Angela 1: Starting Over. Maybe it can become a top 2010 favorite. To learn more, please click on my name and follow the link to my website. Thanks!