Monday, June 22, 2009

Expiration Date

What if you knew when those around you would die? Clay Ryker, the main character of the book I just read, "Expiration Date", has suddenly developed that ability.

I have read only one other book by this author, Eric Wilson, and I have to say his books are bizarre, but in a good way. I bought six boxes of books at a yard sale recently, most of which I walked off at $1.00 a box. I have books sitting everywhere! At a dollar a box, I was throwing anything that looked remotely interesting in boxes, and "Expiration Date" was one of those.

In the author's own words, "My stories are built around characters who are struggling with specific issues externally and internally. I will pick something I am passionate about. I don’t want it to be preachy, but it is about struggles with our own weaknesses and issues of the human heart and wrestling with God,” Wilson said. “I explore the tension between heaven and hell. That really does describe a lot of my books, although it’s more the personal tension in our own hearts and minds."


Expiration Date revolves around the effects of trying to cover up sin, and the consequences that can come years later. Some parts of the story may seem far-fetched, as a demon taking over a human and trying to get revenge on another human, but I guess it is possible.

Wilson has written book versions of a few Christian movies, such as "Fireproof" and "Facing the Giants", but his latest effort is a series called "Jerusalem's Undead Trilogy", and from reading reviews, I was amazed to find out he uses vampires in this series, but the series is getting rave reviews, so I may end up reading them some time. The idea behind the stories is intriguing.

If you like Frank Peretti, you may like Eric Wilson. Give his books a try. I have a couple you can borrow. :-) Actually, I have a lot of books you can borrow. :-)

I cannot close without telling about this: One of the books I bought at the yard sale was a Bible. I paid 25 cents for it, put it on Ebay, and it sold for $23. It more than paid for all of my books. :-)

0 comments: