Sunday, January 22, 2012

A few of my favorite authors: Kathy Herman

Kathy Herman came out with her first novel, Tested By Fire,  in October of 2001. I was working at the local Christian bookstore and it grabbed my attention as I was checking in an order from Multnomah Publishing. I bought it and read it that evening. I loved it. That book was #1 of 5 in The Baxter Series, and each book that followed was better than the previous, or at least it seemed like it to me.

Kathy writes Christian suspense/mystery, and does an excellent job of it. Her books are not gory, and have no cursing or inappropriate content in, which some Christian authors are allowing in such kind of books.

The Baxter Series was followed by a stand alone title, Poor Mrs. Rigsby, and two other series with Multnomah Publishing: The Seaport Suspense Series (a "spin-off" of the Baxter Series" and The Phantom Hollow Series. Kathy then switched to David C. Cook Publishing, a move that had me a bit worried, but my fears were groundless. With David C. Cook, she put out the even better Sophie Trace Series, and the "spin-off" from it that she has written two books in so far, Secrets of Roux River Bayou.

With the kind of writing she has done and is still doing, Kathy has established herself as one of my top favorite authors, and I always look forward to each new book she comes out with.

In addition to being a great writer, she is also a very sweet and gracious lady. She has always been happy to do a giveaway any time I ask her, though I don't bug authors too much. She is also into bird watching and is always posting great pictures on facebook.

More about Kathy:
Suspense novelist Kathy Herman is very much at home in the Christian book industry, having worked five years on staff at the Christian Booksellers Association (CBA) in Colorado Springs, Colorado, and eleven years at Better Books Christian Center in Tyler, Texas, as product buyer/manager for the children’s department, and eventually as director of human resources.


She has conducted numerous educational seminars on children’s books at CBA Conventions in the U.S. and Canada, served a preliminary judge for the Gold Medallion Book Awards of the Evangelical Christian Publishers Association , and worked as an independent product/marketing consultant to the CBA market.

Since her first novel, Tested by Fire, debuted in 2001 as a CBA national bestseller, she's added eighteen more titles to her credit, including six more bestsellers: All Things Hidden, The Real Enemy, The Last Word, The Right Call, False Pretenses, and Dangerous Mercy.

Kathy's husband Paul is her manager and most ardent supporter, and the former manager of the LifeWay Christian Store in Tyler, Texas. They have three grown children, five almost-perfect grandchildren, a cat named Samantha. They enjoy cruising, deep sea fishing, and birdwatching—sometimes incorporating these hobbies into one big adventure.

If you have never read any of Kathy's books, check her out.
Author website: KathyHerman.com.

1 comments:

Carole said...

I always enjoy your reviews, Mark, and look forward to your theme of favorite authors. It took me a long time to get around to Kathy Herman, but I read Tested by Fire last year. I generally prefer relationship drama to suspense, but really enjoyed Kathy's writing and plan to read more of her books.