Friday, September 10, 2010

To Save A Life

I have heard a lot about this movie, so I rented it from Amazon yesterday morning and watched it. My reaction? Wow! More on that after the premise. (My description).

Jake Taylor is a senior heading for college with a promising basketball scholarship. He lives a rather wild life, partying, drinking, sex... until that fateful day. His former best friend, feeling no one cares, puts a gun to his own head and kills himself in front of several school mates.

Jake is riddled with guilt. Guilt for pushing his friend aside for cooler and more popular kids. Guilt for not being able to stop the suicide.

If you haven't seen it, I don't want to give too much away. I will say that God and church plays a huge part in Jake finding his way, and that this is definitely a Christian movie. Gritty, but Christian. There is some cursing.... no "f" word, but a few others. There is a scene where the main character whips off his shirt and has sex with his girlfriend. Nothing is shown except for him removing his shirt and kissing her, and afterward him lying in bed covered up - no sex scene at all. This is a great movie for teens, but not younger kids. Though it has some of the above mentioned elements, it is truly an excellent movie, and truly moved me. Watch it.

2 comments:

Carole said...

I had not heard about this movie, Mark, so thank you for recommending it. I just added it to my Netflix queue. I hope you will suggest good movies once in a while because we seem to have similar tastes.

Andi said...

WOW Mark I am surprised - you are actually recommending something that has CURSING in it! What a switch! It also has sex, Jake's girlfriend gets pregnant - all kinds of NON-CHRISTIAN elements - Should we take your pulse? This movie is exactly what I'm talking about! It's real,raw, and exactly what is needed in fiction, or even in real life drama. Because life is messy, it's not all neat and tied up with a bow.