Sunday, March 7, 2010

Book reviews: My top 10

My pal Steven told me since I am celebrating my "blogoversary", and since the primary focus of my blog is book reviewing, that I should list my top favorite books that I have reviewed. I thought that was a good idea, so here is my list. I am not, however, listing them in any particular order for one main reason - it is hard for me to rank favorites among favorites, although my top favorite books are suspense/mystery, which would give them an advantage. So here are my top ten:

1) Fatal Illusions by Adam Blumer. This is one of the best suspense/mystery novels I have read and reviewed. I actually did a mini review of it with several other books that I read while on vacation at the ocean, but it deserved a full review. The first book for this author, and I am looking forward to more from him.

2) The Riley Covington Series by Jason Elam & Steve Yohn. This is a totally awesome series. Special ops, suspense, great characters and action. I reviewed two of the three books out so far, and looking forward to more in this series.

3) The Sophie Trace Trilogy by Kathy Herman. I really enjoy Kathy's books. She writes suspense/mystery and always has a strong Christian theme in her books. I think this series is her best yet. I have reviewed the first two books, and will be posting a review for the third and final book in the series soon.

4) The Word of Promise New Testament (CD). Although I did not listen to every CD before I reviewed it, I was, and am impressed with this audio version of the New King James Version of the Bible. Worth getting.

5) Firstborn by Conlan Brown. Another new author, and though this book was different, I really enjoyed it.

6) Shades of Blue by Karen Kingsbury. KK does not write suspense, but I enjoy her writing. This one did not disappoint, and addressed the issue of abortion and the effects of it on the parents.

7) Critical Care by Candace Calvert. This is medical fiction/romance, but was a great book. Looking forward to more from this author.

8) The Unfinished Gift by Dan Walsh. This is a Christmas story, and one of the best I have read. It was the author's first book, and he wrote a great story that tugs on the heart. A sequel is planned for this summer.

9) The Swiss Courier by Tricia Goyer and Mike Yorkey. A great historical fiction novel. Full of suspense and interesting trivia. I really enjoyed reading and reviewing this one.

10) Scream by Mike Dellosso. Mike writes books similar in style to Frank Peretti, though his have more suspense. He has 2 books under his belt, and this is his best so far. More coming from this author soon. He did a guest post for me here.

3 comments:

Glynn said...

Your Top 10 included 2 of mine - Adam Blumer and Mike Dellosso. And I enjoyed Karen Kingsbury's Shades of Blue and Every Now and Then.

Annette W. said...

I just saved this post under my favorites...

I forgot to say congrats on the job...it may not be exactly what you wanted, but a job is a job.

Mike Yorkey said...

Mark: as the co-author of "The Swiss Courier," it's tremendous to read that we made your Top 10 list. Thanks for including us. I spent three years, off and on, working on the novel, so there's a ton of research, but it's all woven in the plotline. No one has been able to figure out how "The Swiss Courier" ends yet, so there are some great surprises. Thanks again, Mike Yorkey